Join with us to reduce road trauma in the South West
The Industry Road Safety Alliance – South West, together with the Hon. Michelle Roberts MLA, Minister for Police and Road Safety, is inviting all road users to commit to reducing road trauma in the South West at a Christmas Road Safety Launch being held in Collie in December.
The Christmas Launch will unveil the Road Ribbon for Road Safety campaign for the Alliance’s catchment, which aims to raise awareness of the importance of road safety over the Christmas and New Year holiday period.
The Alliance hopes the road safety message will continue to be on the daily agenda with the official launch a 2018 Road Safety Calendar that features artwork and photography submitted as part of a region-wide competition.
The Industry Road Safety Alliance South West is an independent, collaborative group taking in industry, government and community players across the area bounded roughly by Greater Bunbury, Collie, Boddington and Pinjarra.
The award-winning road safety partnership’s goal is to help mitigate and manage risks with industry road traffic with the ultimate outcome of improving safety and reducing trauma for all road users.
The Alliance unites major road users and road authorities around the increasingly busy industrial and resources centres of Collie and Boddington – BIS Industries, Bunge Transport, Newmont Boddington Gold, The Griffin Group, Wesfarmers Premier Coal, Qube, South32 Worsley Alumina, Synergy, the Road Safety Commission, the WA Local Government Association (RoadWise), WA Police, Main Roads WA, the Department of Transport and the shires of Boddington, Collie and Harvey.
The Alliance has been credited with helping manage and address road safety risks in its area of influence and in doing so contributing toward a fall in road trauma. The number of fatalities on roads across the South West has fallen below the number recorded prior to the Alliance being in place in all but one of the last eight years against a backdrop of significant population growth.
The Alliance has also been credited with helping influence key road infrastructure improvements and in doing so reducing trauma on these routes. Infrastructure spend on the Coalfields Highway increased markedly after the Alliance was formed, with a corresponding fall in crashes and casualties at the same time as road traffic increased and remained relatively high.
The Industry Road Safety Alliance South West was instrumental in the establishment of the other alliances around the State, and is now leading the charge to bring those groups together to further enhance the partnership approach and regional road safety.
The Alliance also plays a role in advocating for policy and legislative change that would contribute to road safety improvements, such as an expansion of the Regional Run-Off-Road Crashes Program to include roads managed by local government.
“It is clear this program is working,” Mr Dent said. “But the sad reality is it is only available for about 12% of the State’s regional roads, which are the roads managed and maintained by Main Roads WA. Extending this program to the other 88% of the State’s regional roads managed and maintained by local government was planned from 2013 but did not eventuate. We cannot afford to wait any longer.”
Mr Dent said the Alliance was adding its voice to that of the WA Local Government Association in calling for the urgent expansion of the Region Run-Off-Road Crashes Program, both in terms of eligible roads and the funding available.
The Christmas Road Safety Launch is being held at 12pm, Tuesday, 5 December 2017 at the Town Square, opposite the Shire of Collie offices on Throssell Street in Collie.
For more information, contact Project Manager Sarah Stanley on 0408 344 833.